If you have a favourite outdoor related website you would like added to the list please email the information to the Durham Outdoors Club.
Clubs and Associations:
- Hike Ontario: http://www.hikeontario.com/
- Oak Ridges Trail Association (ORTA): http://www.oakridgestrail.org/
- East Coast Trail Association: http://www.eastcoasttrail.com/
- Skyline Hikers of the Canadian Rockies: http://www.skylinehikers.ca/
If you have ever thought you would like to safely hike in theCanadian Rockies check this not-for-profit site.
- Ontario Recreational Canoeing and Kayaking Association (ORCKA): www.orcka.ca/
- Paddle Canada: http://www.paddlecanada.com/
- Alpine Club of Canada - Toronto Section: http://www.alpineclubtoronto.ca/
- Bruce Trail Association: http://www.brucetrail.org/
- Rideau Trail Association: http://www.rideautrail.org/
- The Federation of Ontario Naturalists (FON): http://www.ontarionature.org/
Protects Ontario's nature through research, education, and conservation action. FON champions woodlands, wetlands and wildlife, and preserves essential habitat through its own system of nature reserves. FON is a charitable organization representing 15,000 members and over 100 member groups across Ontario.
- Wilderness Canoe Association (WCA): http://wildernesscanoe.ca/
A non-profit organization made up of individuals interested in wilderness travel, mainly by canoe and kayak, but including backpacking and winter trips on both skis and snowshoes.
- Seniors for Nature Outdoor Club: http://www.seniorsfornatureoutdoorclub.ca/
Seniors for Nature Outdoor Club offers active canoeists, 55 and over, usually retired, the opportunity to participate in year-round outdoor recreation for fun and wellness. It is a special interest club affiliated with the Federation of Ontario Naturalists. Start-up funding was provided by grants from the New Horizons Program of Health and Welfare Canada.
- Five Winds Backcountry Ski Club: http://www.skifivewinds.org/
A cross country skiing club in Toronto providing a unique winter experience on marked, ungroomed wilderness trails in the Gibson River area.
Parks and Conservation Authorities:
- Healthy Hikes: http://www.healthyhikes.ca/
Annual health and wellness initiative of Conservation Ontario. Visit one of nearly 300 Ontario conservation areas between May 2 and Oct 31, 2016, snap a fun selfie or nature image and post it using #HealthyHikes and #StepIntoNature.
- Central Lake Ontario Conservation Authority (CLOCA): http://www.cloca.com/
- Durham Region Trails and Trail Maps: http://www.durhamtourism.ca/whattodo/natureandoutdoors.aspx
- Orono Crown Lands Trust: https://www.facebook.com/Orono-Crown-Lands-Trust-107786695961537/
Over 600 acres of forests, creeks, and open spaces. Hiking, cycling and cross-country skiing.
- Toronto and Region Conservation Authority: http://www.trca.on.ca
- Ontario Parks: http://www.ontarioparks.com
- Parks Canada: http://www.pc.gc.ca/
- Canadian Heritage Rivers System (CHRS): http://www.chrs.ca/
Established in 1984 by the federal, provincial and territorial governments to conserve and protect the best examples of Canada's river heritage, to give them national recognition, and to encourage the public to enjoy and appreciate them. It is a cooperative program of the governments of Canada, all 10 provinces, and the three territories.
- Trans Canada Trail Foundation: http://www.tctrail.ca
- Haliburton Highlands Water Trails: http://www.algonquinhighlands.ca//?cat=trails&page=water
- Haliburton Highlands: http://www.trailsandtours.com
Contains extensive information on this popular area's facilities, trails, canoe routes, and uses. Well worth a visit.
- Wood Smoke and Paddlesong: http://www.paddlesong.ca
A local company specializing in canoeing, hiking and general wilderness instruction. They also do First Aid training.
- MyCRR: http://www.myccr.com
The absolute best site for canoeing info in Canada.
- Jeff's Maps: http://www.myccr.com
Excellent online maps of Algonquin, Killarney, and Temagami. Print copies available for purchase.
- Jeff's Topo Maps: http://www.jeffstopos.com/
Easy online access to all of Canada's topo maps.
- Chrismar Mapping Services: http://www.chrismar.com/
Chrismar produces a national series of waterproof topographic hiking and paddling map guides.
- The Happy Camper: http://www.kevincallan.com
The website for Kevin Callan - The Happy Camper.
- Toronto Cycling Map: Link
- Ontario Hiking Trails: http://ontariohikingtrails.com/
- Hiker Mike: http://www.canadatrails.ca
Local radio personality and author Hiker Mike's web site contains some interesting hiking locations, as well as tips and observations.
- Canadian Canoe Museum: http://www.canoemuseum.ca
- Halliburton Forest Wildlife Reserve: http://www.haliburtonforest.com
- Just Snowshoes: http://www.justsnowshoes.com/
Links to all aspects of snow shoeing
- The Hiker's Guide to Poisonous Plants: http://www.kremp.com/the-hikers-guide-to-poisonous-plants-articles.htm
- Out There: http://www.out-there.com
Promotes itself as Canada's largest outdoor resource for back country activities and travel in Canada and for information about outdoor facilities, service firms, and clubs. Not all links are current or active.
- Authorized Boots: http://authorizedboots.com/2015/07/50-survival-tips-and-tricks-for-the-outdoors/
Fifty Survival Tips and Tricks for the outdoors that aims to provide essential information about surviving in the wilderness. For outdoor enthusiasts - a list of the most important things to keep in mind when going outdoors.
- Green Durham Association: http://www.greendurham.ca/
A non-profit registered charity dedicated to protecting, preserving and enhancing the forests, farmlands, and natural areas which lie northeast of Toronto in Uxbridge, North Pickering and adjacent Greenbelt lands.
- First-Aid Preparedness and Injury Prevention for the Wilderness: https://www.rosenfeldinjurylawyers.com/first-aid-preparedness-and-injury-prevention-for-the-wilderness.html/
- Wilderness First Aid: https://www.acls.net/2016/02/17/wilderness-first-aid-basics/
- My Open Country: https://myopencountry.com/
Gear and Equipment:
- Mountain Equipment Co-op: http://www.mec.ca
Gear and equipment supplier. They rent camping gear. Web site contains articles on selecting and taking care of equipment.
- Sail: http://www.sail.ca/
Gear and equipment supplier.
- Wild Rock Outfitters: http://www.wildrock.net
Gear and equipment supplier. They also rent canoes, kayaks, camping gear and more.
- Algonquin Outfitters: http://algonquinoutfitters.com
- Algonquin Bound Outfitters: http://www.algonquinbound.com
- Frontenac Outfitters: http://frontenac-outfitters.com
- Killarney Outfitters: http://www.killarneyoutfitters.com
- Lure of the North: https://lureofthenorth.com
- Red Lake Outfitters: https://www.redlakeoutfitters.com
- Smoothwater Outfitters: http://smoothwater.com
- Temagami Outfitting Company: https://www.temagamioutfitting.ca
- Wabakimi Canoeing and Fishing Outfitters: http://wabakimi.com